I have been really hesitant to start THE LIST and I guess that’s mainly because then it would be obvious what I had moved on from.
As I have talked about before patchwork was a big part of my life before and during owning my patchwork and embroidery shop. In the 7 years since it closed I have hardly sewn anything and I have always put it down to burn out from making samples of patterns for classes and magazine articles. I still have quite a bit of fabric and I love all of them dearly, they are like familiar faces, friends. I can slowly feel the need to sew creeping back but not in the context of before, so it will be interesting to see how it returns.
There are a lot of skills I have that I enjoy doing;
The ones in bold are skills I have but I’m working on improving.
- Printmaking - Relief and etching
- Embroidery more contemporary
- Artist books from recycled books and ones I create myself
- Mixed media art journaling
- Writing usually to get stuff out of my head
- Researching for art projects
- Drawing – a skill I’m working on
- Colour and the use of it an on going learning process
- Mark making on paper and textiles.
- Water colour a learning process.
For me the hardest thing is coming up with ideas in a world of so many possibilities, I place a lot of pressure on myself and am almost paralysed with fear of failure and being judged.
I know this is a problem a lot of artists.