What an inspiring assignment!
I had never done expanded squares and already in the second attempt I broke one of the rules. :-)
Considering 'why (not)' I thought of
- why not using knitting, crochet, embroidery
- why not making the square (circle, rectangle, parallelogram) transparant
- why not using perspex with matted parts
So I took one of my (pretty basic) designs:
And made a base of tulle with cotton pieces. I cut the cotton pieces twice and stuck them to the tulle with bondaweb:
The execution needs some work. Consider it a work progress, as this is the first attempt.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the time for more attempts.
Even though I didn't do the dishes, the laundry nor did I make the bed.........