Patricia W. - Part Two

            In the notes for Exercises: Studying Balance, Jane said,  "When a strategy has several parts, Asymmetry, for example, it would be great to create a simple example for each of the devices we discussed."  We studied the following six devices for creating balance in an Asymmetric picture: Color, Value, Shape/Line, Texture, Position, Eye Direction.

            1: For Color, I made a small square on watercolor paper with Red in the upper right corner and it's complement, Green, filling the rest of the square (using water color paint).

            2: To show Value, which uses 3 different Dynaflow fabric paints (but still on the above paper). The largest area on the right is a mixture of White and Magenta. Then the center curved smallest shape I mixed a bit of black and a drop of the complement of the reddish magenta. The left most area is the hue of Magenta as it came from the container. 

            3: I created Shape/Line by using a Sharpie Fabric Marker on quilting weight cotton. This and the fabric for Texture are used to get used to making quilts on some weight of canvas or heavy cotton. The right side is a spiral shape and the left is simple straight lines in Purple using the marker.

            4: I chose the fabric paint again but on 10 oz fabric to make the Texture sample. The whole square is first painted, then the texture is made with a marker using Xs and Os on the larger part of the square.

          5. The Position example was the most difficult sample for me to make. I made several different arrangements before deciding on the one here that uses rectangles of different sizes and colors.

            6. Eye Direction is a corrected version of what was supposed to be an Eye Direction picture example I previously shared and turned out to be Informal Symmetry. Since this photo is in my previous shared work, we can compare this one where the small yellow-orange rectangle was shifted so it would no longer be in the center. Here it is an example of Eye Direction.

            This exercise was a lot more work than I had thought it would be, partly because I am shifting toward the paints and painting canvas that I eventually want to use in quilts and partly because of the decisions I had to make in creating these examples.