Exploring Hue - Linda Dawson

Some things I learned in addition to Jane’s goals. First, it takes a great deal of paint to paint fabric as compared to the water color paper. The fabric really absorbs the paints. The brush strokes need to be firmer for the paint to be completely absorbed by the fabric. Second, each time I tried the mixing I got a better mixture, closer to the chips Jane sent. I tried to remix each color for all the different samples which gave me a closer match with each try. I guess this really was one of Jane’s objectives. Third, I painted the black fabric with white paint before adding the colors but still have black showing though even with the opaque paints. Green is difficult to mix. It took more blue than I thought and seemed to be almost magical. I mixed and mixed (perhaps because I used such a small amount of blue each time) until poof – green appeared. What I thought was green was still a little yellow until I really got to green. It seemed yellow needed more blue than I thought to make green while yellow needed less orange to create yellow orange that I thought. I really had a great deal of fun doing these exercises and feel that I learned a lot about mixing hues. 

Opaque on White Cloth

Opaque on White Cloth

Opaque on Black Cloth

Opaque on Black Cloth

Opaque on Paper

Opaque on Paper

Transparent on White Cloth

Transparent on White Cloth

Transparent on Paper

Transparent on Paper