Exploring how a sense of place influences my art
I photograph :
- landscapes, details of landscapes
- buildings, parts of buildings
- gardens, flowers
Wherever I am, I have a map-sense of the place. I read maps as a first step of planning a trip — how far, how close, distance between.
FOCUS: A sense of place (actually, my places) plays out in 9 collaged places stitched together as a 9-patch. The following describes the first patch.
- landscape — the island where I live
- map — from here to the ocean
- landscape details — the house and the treasure
- planning the first, then the nine patches — leave out some element in each patch, an element that can be added when all patches are finished, an element to tie the nine together. The element could be a thing or a technique or both.
- research — learn more about each landscape; map it
- design & color planning so all nine coordinate
- photography & photo-printing
- collage, appliqué, stitching, felting, etc.
- brown is the earth and the house
- green is the garden
- blue is the water
- what color is the treasure?