The first part of the assignment for this week was rather easy. Easy because I just did both the cleaning of the studio and the giving away of fabric just prior to beginning this online class. The rearranging and cleaning up the studio is a task I do to clean out the cobwebs in my brain prior to starting any art project. There is something soothing and calming about having a clean work table; the past projects are thrown out or stored outside my view. And the large bag of fabric went to a 20 something young woman I know. She started quilting several years ago and has little funds for fabric. It is good to give to another generation even if it is out of date fabric. She was thankful for a supply of fabric that wasn't "precious" so that she could experiment with new ideas in quilting. Hooray for her open minded approach.
The second part of the lesson was quite freeing. I began by going through my unfinished quilt tops and choose one that had some good color combos but I knew it was never going to be finished. My process was to cut it up in 6 inch squares and then reassemble with alternating the piecing with backside (seams showing) with the front side of the pieces. It was freeing to move between the wrong side and the correct side without the piece being "precious". I have attached three views, first is the original quilt top; second when I began to cut it up and reassemble. The final part of the process was to find a 6' square section I found intriguing and cut that out and then put a backing on it. This part of the process had me looking at the texture and relief aspect of the selected square. I have been looking for just that aspect to add interest in my textiles. In the end I actually did not care for the "final" project but it got me thinking about the use of exposed seams to add visual interest.
I did three 'scavenger hunts" based on three new ideas for textile explorations. Though I have done these before the added part about splitting the writing between "word" and "images" helped me to view the ideas differently. I found that I would mix the two, images and words. Separating them out helped me to look at what images could portray abstractly. In other words a word like contours could be a starting place for how I work the edges of an art work. Here is a list for one of the projects.
guide stars and constellations